QLD rego check
A rego check is a way of finding out the registration history of a car you own or want to buy. It's available free of charge from the Queensland government for all vehicles registered in the Sunshine State.
It will help you find out if the automobile you're buying is registered or if the registration is close to expiring, so that you don't end up accidentally buying a car that you won't legally be able to drive on Queensland roads.
What information do I get from a QLD rego check?
A registration check for a registered vehicle in Queensland will provide you with the following details:
- Registration status and expiry;
- Make, model and body shape of the vehicle;
- Purpose of use (private or commercial);
- Inspection due date.
Why is it so important to get a QLD rego check?
It's crucial to get a QLD rego check before buying a used car. Sometimes, second-hand dealers and private sellers may try to sell you a vehicle with expired registration. Getting a rego check before parting with your cash could save you from encountering any nasty surprises down the track, such as:
- Legal penalties: All vehicles on Queensland roads need to be registered, and there are severe penalties that apply to drivers caught behind the wheel of an unregistered car. If the rego on your car has expired and you're caught by police, you could face heavy fines, or even have your car impounded or confiscated completely.
- Accidents due to mechanical problems: You should always be wary of unregistered vehicles, as there could be a fault with the car that is the reason behind the registration not being renewed. Being unaware that the rego has expired is no excuse for driving an unregistered car, as it's your responsibility to make sure it's roadworthy. A mechanical fault in the car could cause you to get into an accident and put the lives of others at risk.
- Financial woes due to expired insurance: If you get into an accident, Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance, in addition to being required by law, will cover your legal liability should you get into an accident and cause injury or death. This is something you don't want to be without.
How do I get a QLD rego check?
It's easy to check the registration history of a vehicle registered in Queensland. You can visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website, or download the QLD Rego Check app from iTunes or the Google Play store.
Make sure you have your car's rego number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) handy, as you'll be asked to enter whichever of these details is applicable.
What if I want information that I can't get in a free QLD rego check?
Getting a free rego check before buying a used car is better than making a purchase without any knowledge of the vehicle you're buying, but there's a lot that it won't tell you.
Used car dealers can try to rip you off by selling you a car that's been tampered with. A rego check won't be able to tell you if there's finance owing on the car, if the odometer has been illegally wound back, or if the car has been stolen.
To avoid being sold a lemon, you should consider buying a PPSR report. It's the most comprehensive car history report in the country and provides the following:
- PPSR search;
- Stolen check;
- Written-off check;
- Finance check;
- Odometer check;
- Price/odometer comparison;
- Vehicle valuation;
- VIN check; and
- First sale information.
What is a PPSR search?
The PPSR search is one of the most important components of your PPSR report. PPSR stands for Personal Property Securities Register. The register shows whether security interests have been registered over a type of personal property, for example artworks, intellectual property, livestock - and vehicles.
When you order your PPSR report, we conduct a PPSR check for you, which involves scanning the PPS register to see if there are any outstanding debts on the car. This is vital for you to know before making a purchase - if there is finance owing, the debts will transfer to you as the new owner.
Want to receive your comprehensive PPSR report in seconds? Simply enter the number plate or VIN of the vehicle into the search box on our website and we'll send it through to you instantly.